Dog Nutrition

Dog Nutrition

What to feed, and what not to feed!

Improvements in pet nutrition over the years have contributed to increased pet longevity and quality of life. At Diamond Valley Veterinary Hospitals we recommend feeding your dog a balanced, high quality diet. Factors to consider include age, dental health, weight management and special needs as your pet ages. Puppies require a diet higher in protein and calcium, whilst older dogs often require reduced calorie diets to manage their weight.

At Diamond Valley Veterinary Hospitals we stock a wide range of premium dog food, and can offer you expert advice on the best food to feed your individual dog. When changing your dogs food type please introduce the new food gradually, over about a week, mixing it with the old food. This reduces the chance of a tummy upset due to a sudden diet change.

Whilst most dogs will tolerate most types of foods there certain foods and common household products that we do not recommend you ever feed your dog or allow access to – some are unhealthy and can increase the risk of disease, whilst others can be toxic:

Fatty foods, including large amounts of bone marrow, biscuits, cakes, fried food – over time such food can lead to obesity and in some dogs fatty foods can trigger pancreatitis, a painful and sometimes life threatening disease.

Sultanas, grapes and raisins – can cause kidney failure, even in small amounts

Chocolate – milk and dark chocolate contain a stimulant that in small amounts can cause agitation, and in large amounts seizures or even death.

Onions – onions, particularly raw onion, can cause damage to red blood cells in dogs, leading to a life threatening anaemia. Remember even small amounts in foods like hamburger mince can be toxic.

Cooked bones – cooked bones can splinter when chewed and cause irritation to the gut lining, constipation or even perforation. We recommend bones are given raw, marrow removed and strictly under supervision.

Pest poisons – rat bait and snail baits are both toxic to dogs. Even the ingestion of a poisoned rat can cause secondary toxicity in dogs. We do not recommend you use pest poisons if you have pets at home.

For a comprehensive list of foods, household products and plants that can be toxic to pets please contact our staff.